Brady Curtis Field and AV Fuel
Home Contact Us FBO Services Facilities About Us Airport Information

   Flags

CURTIS FIELD.

Curtis Field, once a United States Army flying field on the U.S. Highway 377 N. 3 miles north of Brady in central McCulloch County, was named for Mayor Harry L. Curtis of Brady, who proposed the site as an auxiliary field for the army. At the time it was built it was the only army air field named for a living person. Construction of the airport began in November 1940, and a primary flying school from Love Field in Dallas moved to Curtis Field. Classes began on March 23, 1941, with eighty students; as many as 500 were enrolled at one time. Facilities at the 354- acre field included a headquarters building and annex, a ground school, an infirmary, three barracks, and four hangars. Three auxiliary fields within a ten-mile radius were used for training purposes. The school, originally for primary flight training, was used for basic training twice in its history but had reverted to primary training when it was closed on August 4, 1945, and became the Brady Municipal Airport. Some 10,000 student flyers have graduated, and about 85 percent of the instructors and students were native Texans.

Robert W. Stewart


Site Hosted By...Controller.com ®
© Copyright by Sandhills Publishing Company 2014. All rights reserved. Reproduction of material appearing on this Web site is strictly prohibited without written permission. Controller, Executive Controller, and Charter Hub are registered trademarks of Sandhills Publishing Company.
Privacy Policy